Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

WA Getting a Name Change Without Consent?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by jaymouth, 3 March 2016.

  1. jaymouth

    jaymouth Member

    3 March 2016
    Likes Received:
    Hi, I have two children who are in the UK (I'm an Australian in Australia). I recently received a message via Facebook from the children's Aunt which reads as follows

    "K attended Court today to ask that F's surname is changed to C’. The Judge has ordered that we write to you again and explain the following:

    a. That the Family Court in Bristol is considering her application to change F's surname from W to C;
    b. That the court wants to take account of your views if possible;
    c. That in order for the court to do so, you must contact the Applicant’s solicitor, Ms. L within 14 days of the Facebook message being sent; her contact details are: [Moderator redacted contact information - Community Guidelines]
    d. That you shall inform Ms. L if he objects to F’s surname being changed, and if so, whether he proposes to attend the hearing (or arrange legal representation);
    e. That if he does not respond to the message (or if he fails to attend the hearing or arrange for legal representation on his behalf), the court will consider making a final order about F’s surname in his absence.

    We, of course, believe it is in F’s best interests that her surname is changed to be the same as K’s, but if you do have any comments to make, please be in touch.

    Yours sincerely”

    I don't want my daughter to have a name change, so what should I do under Family Law?

  2. sammy01

    sammy01 Well-Known Member

    27 September 2015
    Likes Received:
    Do some investigating. Make sure the solicitor's address, etc., is correct. Contact the solicitor and express your opinion. Consider getting a solicitor to represent you in the UK.
  3. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    I'm not familiar with family law in the UK, so I'd suggest first off that you get legal advice as soon as possible about this matter.

    As a first point of call, you should try and contact the relevant registry in the UK to find out some information about the application. When was it made? When is the hearing? What are the requirements of service for such an application? Can you appear by telephone or video call?
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page