VIC Friend Owes Me Money - Sent Letter of Demand - What Now?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Louie H

16 March 2015
I posted on here a couple of months ago [VIC - Personal Loan to Friend - How to Get Back? | Legal Aid Forums] Re. A so-called friend borrowed money last year, has paid half back but has blocked me from all contact.

I have been patient and never rude and feel I can just let her get away with this. Last advise was to send a letter of demand, which I have done. I got no response.

Any help would be appreciated, as I feel this lady thinks it is okay just to forget. Thank you. Please help.

Sarah J

Well-Known Member
16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Louie,

The next step is to go to court for recovery of the debt. Contact VCAT and see if they can hear civil disputes (debt recovery) between private individuals. If not, you will need to start the application in the Magistrates' Court. See "Commencing civil proceedings - Magistrates' Court of Victoria" for how to initiate an action.
  • Like
Reactions: Tim W