TAS Faulty Rendering - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shane M

23 August 2014
Tasmania
Where do I stand legally on faulty workmanship on a new home. Home was built in 2010 and was rendered. Within 12 -18 months I have noticed cracks, cobweb effects and ballooning where the render has actually fallen away from the bricks. I contacted the builder who had patched up a few of the problems areas which took about 1 hour of his time. He states that it is just a common problem of rendering and just to live with it. I was also advised that the renderer that he contracted has now gone bankrupt so will be pointless trying to make contact with him .

I have been advised from other renderers that the process was incorrectly applied and will need to be redone and then the whole house will need to be repainted which means I'm out of pocket of approx $6000-$7000.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If your contract is with the builder and he subbied out work, the builder is still responsible.

Reactions: John R

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
PS - I'd be telling the builder the whole rendering job is faulty and needs to be redone, not patched up.