Family Violence IVO

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Summer32

8 July 2020
Hi
Im based in Vic
A Family violence IVO has been made against my partner. The police was the applicant in my case. i was in favor of a safe contact order in which partner can return home with no D. violence. However due to absence of duty lawyer remotely during the hearing the magistrate made an interim order for 7 months which is a no conract order. Now how can i communicate with my partner?
Should we be seeking mediation ( which i know is for seperated couples, and we are still in a relationship) ?
Who can apply for ammendment to the order conditions?
Can anyone advice me what are my options?

sammy01

27 September 2015
you can apply for amendments. Go to the court where the original magistrate made the call and see who is there to talk to.

A word of warning for both of you... So let's say things are going great, happy days. But then there is an argument. He says / she says.... you get angry. Angry people sometimes act irrationally. You call the cops. Even with the no contact order removed, your partner is going to go to the cops shop and might well stay there for a while AND could face criminal charges. All because of an argument over whose turn is it to take out the garbage.

Reactions: Atticus

Summer32

8 July 2020
Thats right. since its a no contact order if i apply for ammendments the court will ask me for evidence i.e how can i proof the risk is reduced and it is safe for him to return home. Now im in a situation how to collect the evidence given that i have no way of contacting what is going on the other side. Can Anyone assist me with this situation? Should i be waiting for next court hearing which is after next 7 months.
I was not looking forward for this order to be made :/

sammy01

27 September 2015
apply to court for an amendment.
Have you been in contact with the partner?