Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Family Law - Can Son Go on Holiday with Grandparents?

Discussion in 'Family Law Forum' started by Eliza Turner, 25 October 2015.

  1. Eliza Turner

    Eliza Turner Member

    25 October 2015
    Likes Received:
    Hi, my enquiry, is can my 11 year old holiday with my parents in another state for 10 days? My ex and I have never had custody of children or money issues in four years. My parents are a huge part of my son's life, before and after school and taking him to sports training.

    My ex verbally agreed to the holiday as he did last year as well. We have never had any family court orders issued and my son has an Australian passport approved by his father. The holiday is not overseas. Do I need his permission under family law?
  2. AllForHer

    AllForHer Well-Known Member

    23 July 2014
    Likes Received:
    If there are no orders in place, there is nothing preventing the child from travelling with the grandparents and there is no requirement for consent from the other parent where that travel is domestic. Travel abroad, of course, requires consent from the other parent.

    If it interferes with the other parent's regular time with the child and the other parent is contesting the travel, it might make the process more amicable if you offer make-up time when the child returns.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page