VIC Falsified IVO application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lcrisp76

8 November 2022
In 2019 I broke up with a woman following months of abusive behaviour on her behalf. Shortly after the breakup, she had her then housemate leave a threatening message on my voicemail service. (Someone I'd never interacted with prior to then) I took police advice of filed for a protective order at my local court, against the threatmaker. Police tried to serve a summons for my application at their residence shortly after. My ex actually met them at the front door, and told them that nobody known by the name they'd specified was known at the location! She then decided to take revenge, and filed for an IVO at her local court. The statement provided with the application was entirely made up, and she even testified in court that I had actually been the one to threaten her housemate! (A point later dismissed by the housemate when she finally fronted for my application, stating quite clearly that we'd never interacted beyond her threat - which was entirely my ex's idea)

Naturally I intended to contest the application, my ex partner knew that I'd just been offered a job opportunity in personal protection, and would need to hold a weapon's permit to pursue the position. Sadly, Covid hit. The courts closed down for a LONG time, I ended up waiting over two-and-a-half years to contest the application! (During which time I was all but unable to earn an income, and had to rely heavily on my superannuation to survive) I had to rely on a Legal Aid appointed barrister for the contest hearing, and due to the last minute appointment I was unable to submit a large amount of the evidence I intended to rely on in court. As a result, my barrister recommended that I consent to the order without admission - and I could then follow it up with an appeal at the County Court level..

I did exactly this. My ex partner stuck to her guns going into the hearing, but also submitted a heavily reworded statement for the appeal. (A large number of her original claims, including that she'd asked me not to contact her - which was completely false, had been omitted) She had no evidence at all, but having nothing but time on my hands while preparing for the hearing, I went in with a huge amount of evidence, much of which proved that not only had she made false allegations against me, but that she'd knowingly made those false claims. Having held an interim against me for way longer than she'd have even held a full order, I was rather surprised when she appeared in court with self-funded highly regarded lawyer. Clearly she realised by that point that I could disprove most of what she'd stated under oath.

When the judge called for a recess on the morning of the hearing, my ex's lawyer contacted my barrister and suggested a deal in which she'd be able to retract her IVO in exchange for an undertaking, and she would be held totally liable for legal costs. Clearly her lawyer had realised very quickly that to put her in a position where she'd face cross examination would be a major mistake! Again reliant on a Legal Aid barrister, he recommended that I accept the deal and then file a police report about nonsensical statement and in-court claims about my supposed threats towards the housemate. (he hadn't had enough time to bring himself up to speed on all of the evidence, and I suspect that he was slightly intimidated by her expensive lawyer)

However, I'm having difficulties in filing an actual police report about her actions! I've spoken with a uniformed member at a local station, he admitted that he had no idea how to even take the report. I left him with a USB thumb drive containing my entire submission of evidence (police statements, court recordings, official court documents, and a massive collection of contradictory conversations from our messaging history) and he told me he'd get back to me in a few days. That was months ago! He just disappeared into the ether, I've left several messages for him but he's not attempted to contact me back. I've spoken with the police assistance line, and had a sergeant tell me that his daughter had been put through similar, and he'd just shaken his head in disbelief because there was nothing he could do! Recently, thinking that I'm being held subject to some type of discriminatory treatment (clearly the MALE in any alleged incident has to be guilty of something) I've been thinking of filing an official complaint with the Police Conduct Unit, but I'm not convinced it's the best way to proceed.

I'm no longer in a position where I have to rely on any Legal Aid assistance, and I'd like to know that I'm taking the correct steps in reporting the matter. As I've recently learned, my ex partner had been running an extensive smear campaign to muddy my name, as she'd already started weeing a new guy and needed a way to justify it to her friends. She utterly ruined my career as a result of the fraudulent application, and has done her level best to ruin my reputation on top. I even have the police report that states that she told them that she didn't even know the woman she was sharing a house with!

Has anyone got an idea of how I can get the police to follow up on her criminal actions? I'm a tad worried that by filing a report with the professional standards command, they'll simply decide that I'm a troublemaker, and that the matter should be ignored.