NSW False Allegations of Adultery - Defamation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

blacknite

25 February 2016
Hi guys ,

Related to one of other posts , a former friend of mine kept convincing me for close to a year that my wife is dating someone else. I initially ignored him but later that started impacting me as I started suspecting my wife. After a year, I came to know that friend was spying on wife's phone as well.

I broke up with him and banned him coming to my family. He still to tries to interfere in our family life on and off. I was wondering if all this stands a chance for filing in a defamation case against him?

Also, I am in NSW at the moment. This incident happened back in VIC.

Amanda E

9 April 2014
Hi blacknite,
Have a read of these posts that set out what actually would amount to defamation as well as defences to defamation:
It seems like you would be best looking into a restraining order against him, such as an Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO) - it might be worthwhile having a chat to the police about his behaviour.

Reactions: blacknite

blacknite

25 February 2016
Hi blacknite,
Have a read of these posts that set out what actually would amount to defamation as well as defences to defamation:
It seems like you would be best looking into a restraining order against him, such as an Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO) - it might be worthwhile having a chat to the police about his behaviour.

Thanks, Amanda.

Shall I get APVO in NSW or VIC? I am workin Sydney atm but family is still back in VIC?