Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW False Allegations of Adultery - Defamation?

Discussion in 'Defamation Law Forum' started by blacknite, 5 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. blacknite

blacknite Well-Known Member

Hi guys ,

Related to one of other posts , a former friend of mine kept convincing me for close to a year that my wife is dating someone else. I initially ignored him but later that started impacting me as I started suspecting my wife. After a year, I came to know that friend was spying on wife's phone as well.

I broke up with him and banned him coming to my family. He still to tries to interfere in our family life on and off. I was wondering if all this stands a chance for filing in a defamation case against him?

Also, I am in NSW at the moment. This incident happened back in VIC.

2. Amanda E

Amanda E Well-Known Member

Hi blacknite,
    Have a read of these posts that set out what actually would amount to defamation as well as defences to defamation:
    It seems like you would be best looking into a restraining order against him, such as an Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO) - it might be worthwhile having a chat to the police about his behaviour.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    blacknite likes this.
  3. blacknite

blacknite Well-Known Member

Thanks, Amanda.

Shall I get APVO in NSW or VIC? I am workin Sydney atm but family is still back in VIC?