LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW False Allegations of Adultery - Defamation?

Discussion in 'Defamation Law Forum' started by blacknite, 5 May 2016.

Tags:
  1. blacknite

blacknite Well-Known Member

Hi guys ,

Related to one of other posts , a former friend of mine kept convincing me for close to a year that my wife is dating someone else. I initially ignored him but later that started impacting me as I started suspecting my wife. After a year, I came to know that friend was spying on wife's phone as well.

I broke up with him and banned him coming to my family. He still to tries to interfere in our family life on and off. I was wondering if all this stands a chance for filing in a defamation case against him?

Also, I am in NSW at the moment. This incident happened back in VIC.

2. Amanda E

Amanda E Well-Known Member

Hi blacknite,
    Have a read of these posts that set out what actually would amount to defamation as well as defences to defamation:
    It seems like you would be best looking into a restraining order against him, such as an Apprehended Personal Violence Order (APVO) - it might be worthwhile having a chat to the police about his behaviour.

blacknite likes this.
  3. blacknite

blacknite Well-Known Member

Thanks, Amanda.

Shall I get APVO in NSW or VIC? I am workin Sydney atm but family is still back in VIC?