NSW Ex's New Boyfriend Took a Voice Recording - Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
S

steven irwin

Hi,

My ex secretly got her boyfriend to do a voice recording while I was on the phone with her on loud speaker. Next thing, cops are here, charging me. Is this legal?

Reactions: Timnuts

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
More information would ideally be needed. But in short yes, such evidence can be used.

S

steven irwin

He recorded me on his phone transferrerd it onto her phone. It was a personal conversation.

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
In Victoria it is legal to record conversations as long as you are a party to it. In your situation, it is debatable who the parties are and who is doing what for whom.

sammy01

27 September 2015
No names, etc but what did you say? What have you been charged with? Do you have kids together?

Mate, you've been stiched up. That said - is there a history of you calling your ex and abusing her?

The cops are gonna have a starting premise which is that your ex felt the need to record the conversation - So if you were more than a little rude then the cops will use the recordings - so breach of privacy ain't likely to be a defence to get you off the hook... But like I said - depends on what you've been charged with and possibly dependant on previous history.

S

steven irwin

Use carriage service to menace/harass/offend. She will say I have no proof. I have not abused her, never committed any domestic violence between us.

I got a 2-year bond for using the carriage service to threating to kill her but she could not remember what I said so they did a deal, so ever since then, I have been giving her money. She has been standing over me.

I have 3 boys: 14, 9 and 7. She wants me gone so her boyfriend can boss my boys around, so the recording says I had a go at her boyfriend's heritage.

S

steven irwin

I have never hit her or nothing. Since I got out of court, she has been saying now that I call the shots. She has been asking me for money. I say no. She says 'well, I will make a call.' It's really hard, I'm only on a pension.

S

steven irwin

She was not why I got bond. It was nothing to do with her. It was my step sister.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok - just checking - you threatened to kill her...Ok, so let's learn from that.

Do you have a parenting plan about when you see the kids? Maybe you ought to post in the family law section for help on family law?