QLD Executor not communicating

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Maddz1

25 February 2021
My brother is the executor of our deceased fathers estate & is not communicating with the rest of us but we’ve all been included in the will apparently. No else has seen the will but we know there is no realestate property involved. He went in and removed all our fathers personal effects and safe. There has been no probate applied for nor has he contacted us directly. All he asked for about 2 months ago were our addresses and phone numbers. What can we do to address this and what are our legal rights as beneficiaries? Also how can we sort this as 1 brother is now homeless & another is in isolation with 4 children with no income as he lives in PNG. I also have terminal heart disease needing a pace maker so we are all in need of whatever has been left. My father passed away on the 1st February this year.

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Hi Maddz1, as a beneficiary you are entitled to see the Will. An executor has to administer an estate in a timely manner however depending on which state you are in, there may not be a necessity for probate (for what is classed as small estates). In the end, you may need to get some communication happening through a lawyer writing to them to find out what is going on and to get a copy of the Will.

Reactions: Tim W

Maddz1

25 February 2021
Hi Tim
Thankyou for your response. I am in Queensland as is the estate in question.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'm sure you meant your thanks to be for @Paul Cott,
upon whose advice you may rely with the greatest confidence.

Best of luck with it.

Maddz1

25 February 2021
I'm sure you meant your thanks to be for @Paul Cott,
upon whose advice you may rely with the greatest confidence.

Best of luck with it.
Hi Paul yes I did mean thankyou Paul for your advice. I’m not very good with websites my apologies. Again thankyou