Excessive bill due to leak before I moved in - who pays?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ponala J

20 June 2023
HI,

Moved into a rental in apartment building where hot water is supplied by a central hot water unit and gas charged on water usage. My first water & gas bill was very high, showing I used around 1200 litres of water a day. A plumber came in and located a leaking toilet. Luckily the water company waived part of the cost of the bill due to the leak but the gas company won't (around $1500). I have since gotten second bills and the water/gas usage is as expected (120 litres a day). Am I liable for the excessive bill that was due to a leak before I moved in? How do I get the landlord to contribute to the 'excessive' part of the bill?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I am confused. What is the relationship between a high gas bill and a leaky toilet that uses cold water?

Ponala J

20 June 2023
I am confused. What is the relationship between a high gas bill and a leaky toilet that uses cold water?
So was I, and probably still am. However as the hot water/gas usage went back to normal after leaky toilet fixed the gas company has put it down to that. I did ask how the cold water leak could affect their bill and the reply was they can't comment as to how the building was built and connections made and meters hooked up.