ex - tenancy agreement, where do I stand?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jimbo!

2 February 2019
My ex and I were together 8 years. When we met, she moved in to my property, signed a tenancy agreement and told centrelink she was single and renting to get more centrelink payments. Now we are separated, does the fact she signed a tenancy agreement mean anything? She was paying a nominal amount of rent, $60/week. Can she still make a claim on my property? I don't have any savings, so if that were the case I would be forced to sell my property.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
So, you were in a de facto relationship, and
for about 8 years, she was lying to Centrelink about her relationship status,
by claiming to them that she was (as they say in Centrelink-speak) an "unrelated co-tenant".
She's in a world of trouble if that gets out.

Atticus

6 February 2019
My ex and I were together 8 years. When we met, she moved in to my property, signed a tenancy agreement and told centrelink she was single and renting to get more centrelink payments. Now we are separated, does the fact she signed a tenancy agreement mean anything? She was paying a nominal amount of rent, $60/week. Can she still make a claim on my property?
Yes she can make a claim as you were de facto for over the two year threshold ... Her right to claim & what her fair & equitable interest may amount to over 8 years is a separate issue to her possible welfare fraud.
I don't have any savings, so if that were the case I would be forced to sell my property.
That would depend on all the facts & figures.

How long ago did you separate?

sammy01

27 September 2015
She can.... Is it worth her while? Nope, not in my opinion.... And if she is on centerlink - she can't afford to both because she is poor and because she could get done for centerlink fraud.

Lesson here? poor choice in women. Learn from that mistake.