VIC Ex taking child away with a new partner

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brad Philips

26 May 2018
HI All,

My ex has taken our child away on a holiday with someone she has been seeing for over 18 months but has yet to make any mention of who he is etc etc. Its only because my 5yr old told me they were "on the coast" I know they are away. I live in Melbourne, they in Sydney. I'm concerned, firstly because I don't know where my daughter is and also because three out of the last four times my daughter has mentioned that he has been around he seems be always naked or in a state of undress.

So, as a concerned father do I have the right to know where and when my ex takes our daughter away?

The flip side this is that that he ex has on two occasions cancelled interstate visits with my daughter the night before I was supposed to fly to see her - obviously the emotional and financial costs cannot be recovered.

Thank you in advance

AllForHer

23 July 2014
As a concerned father, you do not have the right to know anything about how mum chooses to use the child's time with her. Mum's time, mum's choice, your time, your choice.

If mum was taking the child abroad, certainly, you'd have some power because she needs your consent for a passport. But interstate? No.

When my husband's ex complained about not knowing where we were going for holidays with the child, our judge said to her, quote unquote, "It is none of your business."