EPOA and internet banking

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helenm

27 April 2018
Hi all
My partner and his sister visited their Mum’s lawyer (with her) to have their EPOA recognised for land transfers.

Lawyer suggested in this meeting that internet banking be set up so both siblings can monitor their Mum’s accounts. It seemed all one had to do was front up to bank with EPOA to get this established.

I have rung her bank on behalf of partner to see how we set it up and they said definite no no. I called our own bank and they said the same.

So am curious as the EPOA has provisions for electronic passwords (changing / deleting) and seems to allow setting up of internet banking and this was promoted by lawyer so both siblings could monitor accounts.

So there Is a conflict between what the lawyer has said should be done and what the banks will allow.

Has anyone else come across this? How do we rectify it?

Thanks in advance
Helen

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
It’s up to the bank ultimately, but most will allow some level of access. Perhaps their reluctance is if there are joint attorneys, which makes internet banking transactions difficult.

You should at least be able to get ‘view only’ access.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Which bank?

Some banks have this feature, don't know if they all do.