QLD Employment Law - Getting Paid by Ex-Employer by Court Order?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ticcer

11 March 2019
Hi.

I sued my ex-employer for underpayment and won in a local magistrates court via an employment claim. Self-represented. Court order in my favour.

The employer ordered to pay an amount within 14 days, then 2 other amounts monthly over the following 2 months.

The employer is refusing to pay electronically and is going to send a cheque for the first installment that will no doubt take a week to clear, meaning I will not have access to the money on the day I'm supposed to be paid pursuant to the court order.

Is this legitimate under employment law? Is there anything I can do to force my ex-employer to pay electronically?

Also, I've spent 2 days via email asking my ex-employer why he wants my residential address. He said, "Receipt". I asked what the receipt was for. He wouldn't say, but said he would just send it to my last known address. I told him I no longer live there. Then he finally admitted he was sending a cheque. Talk about being difficult!! This is why I'm asking the question above.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
1. Is this legitimate under employment law?
2. Is there anything I can do to force my ex-employer to pay electronically?

1. Yes.
2. Only if it is in the court orders.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, the employer can pay you by cheque.
And yes, that little voice telling you that it's the employer's last petty act of spite, is correct.

Grit your teeth and get the money. Just getting that first instalment will see you better off than many.
And start preparing for when the next payment(s) don't come.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
And bear in mind a post dated cheque is a different matter...