NSW Injunction - Will the Courts Notify Me Directly?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ash8652

11 November 2016
Hi,

I'm starting a new job tomorrow and left my previous employer on very bad terms, where he has threatened to sue me.

Can my former employer issue an injunction under employment law against me (ex parte) and then I get notified by my new employer that I cannot work there due to a court order? Or would the courts have to notify me directly and not through my new employer?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Post back if something happens.

At the moment we'd just be guessing as to what the ex-employer is likely to do.

The ex-employer is unlikely to get an order without a hearing to which you get notified. It can happen in rare circumstances for the protection of trade secrets and intellectual property.

Reactions: Ash8652

Ash8652

11 November 2016

The ex-employer is unlikely to get an order without a hearing to which you get notified. It can happen in rare circumstances for the protection of trade secrets and intellectual property.

Thanks Rod...will do.

After lots of research on the web, I am very confused as to why there are no laws protecting employees from intimidation, harassment and bullying when they resign or leave an employer. Orders against workplace harassment or discrimination are only issued and apply to cases where employees are still employed.

What if I was bullied, intimidated and threatened because I resigned? Why are there no laws protecting me? I have had a shocking experience, have even gone to a GP for medication for anxiety and depression and starting sessions under the medicare mental health plan.

It seems like 'too bad, you resigned, cop it and leave'.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016

I'm sorry but this is just not accurate. In fact it is quite the opposite and is typically how an injunction (interlocutory in this case) would begin. An urgent application is brought before the court, without the other party being present, it's purpose being to maintain the status quo - Somewhat unusual you might think but it's origins are in equity rather than law.

This is also the case with freezing orders so forth etc. Unlike specific performance, courts may order injunctions to compel or restrict behaviour to restrain breaches of equitable obligations or assist in enforcing legal obligations.

To the Original Poster: What sort of job are we talking about here? Is there a restraint of trade clause in your old employment contract? (This is key)

At common law, the general rule is that restraint of trade clauses are void and remain contrary to public policy unless the restriction in itself is reasonable. In answer to your question. If your ex-employer were to commence proceedings against you, you would receive notification of this. However, (without going too far into it) there is a chance your new employer may also receive notification.

I imagine that the ex-employer would seek an injunction (provided there are grounds for it). Possible that you could seek declaratory relief, if you wanted to.. Of course, it's all dependent on the particulars of the case.

If you're worried, you should seek legal advice.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I think we said the same thing in different ways, yours with more detail.

re: Harassment. There are laws that help in NSW. Look up APVO. You may be able to use this to stop the harassment.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016

This is the part I was referring to. We're definitely not saying the same thing. It will occur without the other party being there.