VIC Employment Contract of 38 Hours But Working 40.5 Hours Per Week

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Fraser

20 November 2015
I have your typical 38hr full-time employment contract in my current role and so do many of my colleagues. The problem is, during our induction we were told by HR that our working hours are from 9 am - 5:30 pm with only a 30min break. If you can't be bothered with the maths, that's a 40.5 hour week.

Now obviously you're expected to work additional hours to meet the expectations of the role and I understand that's part of the contract and I am compensated accordingly. I currently do 55hrs+ in such manner and am not challenging that issue.

My question is - can they actually openly communicate that my work week is 40.5hrs when my employment contract says 38?

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Fraser,

That is probably acceptable as you have all accepted the different arrangement and you are compensated for the extra hours worked.

To tidy up the company should probably amend the hours worked in the contract and have the contract properly reflect the arrangement

Hope get assists.