QLD Employer withholding/threatening to dock pay after resignation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Smhc27

13 August 2017
Hey all,

First post here so bare with me please :).

Me and my partner have worked within a sales type job in QLD. We left on good terms explaining that we wish to travel SE Asia.

We work one week in lieu, usually paid every Thursday. Over the past month in our employment many people have left and have had to chase their pay to the point where they had to physically come in to the office. We haven't been paid on the 10th, so we travelled into work on Friday to ask for answers. Our manager explained that there were a few issues involving the pay and he'd process our pays that day before 6PM.

Low and behold, no wages have been paid.

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of going into work to demand payment as we leave to travel Asia today. He has however sent this to us just now -

"Hi #(my partner's name),
I did put yours through to get processed. With pays on termination I don't process them they go through to head office payroll and they hold it for two weeks in case of misleading sales or refunds. Yours should be ok. I'll have to let you know about #### (mine). I've had to make a couple of refunds already on his sales as well as pay the difference who was quoted incorrectly for Vietnam flights. His will need some further consideration. Will keep you both posted on them."

There are two huge issues here. Firstly, there is no head office. It's the owner who we have met and him. We know this for sure. Secondly, I am 100% certain that I have not incorrectly quoted anything to any customers as we use material that they give us to provide over the phone.

So can an employer withhold our pay? Can they threaten to deduct wages for things that we believe to be false allegations? It's really bothering us as we are relying on our wages to fund our travels and calling Australia from overseas will rack up hefty charges.

Please help!