VIC Employee Theft but accusing me of a lot more now.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
D

Deleted member 26884

Hi All,

I would really like your advice. I stupidly took $100 from a till when the balance was not working out as I was cashing up. I did this by doing a refund. I was caught and admitted to it straightaway. I was obviously dismissed. it was a stupid thing to do..I know. A few months later I was taken to the police station and also admitted to them. After reading this forum I know I should not have said anything but too late. I could not explain why I did it effectively.

During the interview they said that the Employer has done some investigation and they believe that I have taken over $10000 over the past year doing the same thing. I have not done this and now I am really worried. They say they have Accounting evidence. It's been 4 weeks since I went to the police station. I did not see the evidence. It's been 4 weeks since I went to the police station and did not hear back. The police say I have been charged and will be summoned. It's been 4 weeks since I went to the police station.

This is a first offence and I suffer from anxiety and hence the stupid act in the first place and I am really worried.

D

Deleted member 26884

Sorry for the copy and paste errors above...I wanted to know what is the likely outcome. What happens now and can I be charged for $10,000? The police said that it only ever happened during the times I worked...I don't know how that could be. How long does it take to get all the charges and what are my next steps for me? Any possibility of trying to get this solved outside the courts?

Tony Danos

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
29 November 2016
Victoria
lawtap.com
Hi All,

I would really like your advice. I stupidly took $100 from a till when the balance was not working out as I was cashing up. I did this by doing a refund. I was caught and admitted to it straightaway. I was obviously dismissed. it was a stupid thing to do..I know. A few months later I was taken to the police station and also admitted to them. After reading this forum I know I should not have said anything but too late. I could not explain why I did it effectively.

During the interview they said that the Employer has done some investigation and they believe that I have taken over $10000 over the past year doing the same thing. I have not done this and now I am really worried. They say they have Accounting evidence. It's been 4 weeks since I went to the police station. I did not see the evidence. It's been 4 weeks since I went to the police station and did not hear back. The police say I have been charged and will be summoned. It's been 4 weeks since I went to the police station.

This is a first offence and I suffer from anxiety and hence the stupid act in the first place and I am really worried.
Difficult to resolve out of court. The police will need to prove all thefts. Big difference between $10000 and $100.
It may take 6 months to get a summons.

D

Deleted member 26884

Difficult to resolve out of court. The police will need to prove all thefts. Big difference between $10000 and $100.
It may take 6 months to get a summons.

Hi Tony, Thank you very much for your reply. That's the bit I was not sure about. I've read about 'beyond reasonable doubt' and was worried that because I did it once they can say that therefore the others refunds are also thefts. They are saying that I took small notes $50 and $100 when i was working. I assume they have just got a printout of all manual cash refunds and it totalled over 10000 but like I said I have not seen the evidence. Thank you for your advice, it has helped.

D

Deleted member 26884

Hi all,

I got the charge sheet and summons. They've charged me for the full 10,000. About 50 individual charges but they mentioned it being rolled up to 1. As I've said I took 100 but no more. I have not seen the evidence.. how do I go about getting that? Is it enough for the police, and judge, to say I've admitted to one $100 refund so all other cash refunds are also theft? Really worried here and wondering if it is possible to get charges reduced.