WA Duty of Care to Ensure Safety of Property?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nectarivorous

14 November 2016
I have been badly burned by hot water in a rental property. I have checked the heater thermostat, and for some reason, it has been set at 80 instead of the required 60, in spite of the fact that anything above 70 will cause 3rd degree burns in less than a second. Do I have any recourse whatsoever? Do landlords and agents have any duty of care to ensure safe conditions in the property, or to make tenants aware if such a high temperature has been set?

I have lost two weeks of work as a result, not even taking into account pain and suffering. Any help greatly appreciated - thanks!

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Yes there is a duty, at common law, on landlords to ensure safety to the property and it's contents. This extends to the people renting, neighbours and public etc. ie, the landlord must ensure that no injury is caused to the person renting from them neglecting their responsibilities.

You should seek legal advice in regard to your specific case.

Complex16

27 July 2016
I have been badly burned by hot water in a rental property. I have checked the heater thermostat, and for some reason, it has been set at 80 instead of the required 60, in spite of the fact that anything above 70 will cause 3rd degree burns in less than a second. Do I have any recourse whatsoever? Do landlords and agents have any duty of care to ensure safe conditions in the property, or to make tenants aware if such a high temperature has been set?

I have lost two weeks of work as a result, not even taking into account pain and suffering. Any help greatly appreciated - thanks!

Firstly I'm sorry to hear that you have been badly burned :-( Secondly, yes the landlord has a duty to provide a property that for all intents is "fit for purpose". Are you able to establish at all that the agent and/or landlord was aware of an issue with the thermostat prior to you sustaining the burns? Does the agent conduct routine inspections?

Whilst at common law they do owe you a duty as a tenant, the onus is on you to show that they have breached that duty and it is the breach of this duty that has resulted in your injury/ies.