NSW Drivers Licence 3-Month Suspension - Suspended Again for Same Offence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Duncan Imlah

29 March 2016
I did 30 km over on the 26th September 2015, which I thought was an instant suspension for 3 months. On 2nd February 2016, I went to renew my drivers licence as it was expired thinking I had already done my 3 months suspension. However, when I applied for a new drivers licence, they suspended my drivers licence from then for the offence on 26th September 2015.

Now I have to wait till the 2nd of May to get my drivers licence back. Why? I did my time but they dictated whatever they wanted. I'm not bothered with an appeal but I want to know why they didn't suspend me on the 26th.

Please get back to me.

S

Sophea

Not sure on that one, but usually you would receive a Notice of Suspension, either telling you the date on which your suspensions starts or giving you the option of choosing or when the time beings to run if it's a good behaviour period.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I'm unclear as to what would lead you to believe you can determine your own suspension period, but in any case, this is from the NSW Roads and Maritime site:

Suspension and refusal
Reaching or exceeding the demerit points limit results in licence suspension or refusal. Roads and Maritime Services will send you a Notice of Suspension or Refusal if you reach or exceed the number of points available for your type of licence, or if you commit an excessive speed offence.

A Notice of Suspension or Refusal specifies the date the licence suspension or refusal begins. The imposition of a licence suspension or refusal period relies on Roads and Maritime serving a Notice.

For unrestricted licence holders, the period of suspension depends on the number of points accumulated:
  • 13 to 15 points - three months
  • 16 to 19 points - four months
  • 20 or more points - five months
  • For provisional and learner licence holders, the suspension period is three months.

Clancy

6 April 2016
You would think the suspension period would begin from the day you paid the fine? That's part of the incentive to pay it, and its fair and simple.