NSW Dog Bite - Who Pays Vet Bill?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Puzzled392

13 July 2015
My generous friend looked after my dog while I was on holiday last week. Her dog and my dog (pets) have always got on well with no problems and she has looked after him numerous times before.

The night before we came home, the 2 dogs were sleeping in their bedroom and for an unknown reason my dog bit her dog. Her dog was old and had no teeth so no protection in her mouth. Sadly, this meant that the laceration was deep and after surgery the decision was made to end her suffering and put her to sleep.

I offered to help cover the vet bill but as it turns out it is $1226. I really can't afford that much but don't mind paying half. If I offer her half, how do I stand legally? Is she within her rights to ask me to pay the whole bill as it was my dog or is it her responsibility as it was in her house under her care?

S

Sophea

HI Puzzled392,

The Companion Animals Act NSW makes the owner responsible for any injuries caused by their dog. However those offences also state that if the owner was not present at the time, the the person responsible for the dog at that time is liable. So I don't think that offence really applies here. In circumstances where you were not negligent, i.e. you never knew the dog to be aggressive and it had never been aggressive to another dog or person before, then I don't know of any grounds legally that you would be required to pay for the bills. Its just one of those unpredictable things that happens.

However since it is a friend, and she has lost her dog, I agree with you that it would be the ethical thing to do to pay half.

Reactions: Ivy and Tim W

Puzzled392

13 July 2015
HI Puzzled392,

The Companion Animals Act NSW makes the owner responsible for any injuries caused by their dog. However those offences also state that if the owner was not present at the time, the the person responsible for the dog at that time is liable. So I don't think that offence really applies here. In circumstances where you were not negligent, i.e. you never knew the dog to be aggressive and it had never been aggressive to another dog or person before, then I don't know of any grounds legally that you would be required to pay for the bills. Its just one of those unpredictable things that happens.

However since it is a friend, and she has lost her dog, I agree with you that it would be the ethical thing to do to pay half.
Thankyou, that is very useful.