QLD Foster dog attack - no accountability on organisations behalf

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tegan84

7 April 2017
Hi

I am a animal foster carer for a small organisation and have recently been attacked by one of the foster dogs. He had only been in my care for half an hour!

The attack resulted in a hospital stay and plastic surgery on my face.
My question is...What can I do to make sure this never happens again?

Full disclosure in regards to this dog was never given to me, all I was told is that he was snappy and to be careful with handling him.

I have found out that he was known to be aggressive and whilst in care with a larger organisation had tried to bite the vet and handlers, had been aggressive with 3 previous foster carers and then with family members whom he had been adopted by, this included a child whom he had bitten earlier on the day he attacked me.

I do not want to take legal action as such, but I do however want this organisation to be held accountable and have policies and procedures in place to prevent this from happening again.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'm unclear as to what it is you want?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Yes, I accept what you are saying, but what is it you want?

eg: You want better disclosure, you want the dog put down, you want your medical bills paid, you want compensation for damages, other?

Tegan84

7 April 2017
Yes, I accept what you are saying, but what is it you want?

eg: You want better disclosure, you want the dog put down, you want your medical bills paid, you want compensation for damages, other?

I most definitely want the dog put down, he's a very dangerous dog.
I would like full disclosure to carers. I have found out that there were four other incidents and these were not disclosed to me. I don't want to see another person get injured due to their negligence.

I'm pretty sure the organisation isn't insured, so I would think it would be pointless to pursue damages and compensation as they also do not have any assets.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Contact your local council and have them take care of the dog.