ACT Do I have a case ?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Taylor jane

12 September 2020
Hello there,
Just wanting some advice please. Last week I had a fall in woolworths. I slipped on a piece of plastic , which was apparently the moulding from the inside of the milk bottles. I was with my husband and was on my way out when i slipped . I fell forward and jarred my left ankle , but fell heavy on my right side on my arm. It all happened very quickly and before i knew it i was on the ground with pain in my ankle. The deputy store manager appeared immediately and she said she heard me fall , she was very attentive and arranged for ice for my foot etc , got a cushion for me and then sat beside me and asked what else was hurting and i told her my arm . I didnt even know what i had slipped on , feeling around for water or something on the floor, when her and my husband found the piece of plastic, she kept it and slipped it into her pocket and also told me that my spectacular fall was all right underneath the camera. She took my details and said she was reporting the incident and that the customer care team would be in touch the next day. She and the nightfill staff were very attentive and caring and helped me from the store.
The next morning i felt awful , was bruised and ached all over , i went to the Doctors at 9.00am the next morning to get checked over. Whilst i was waiting at the Dr , the customer care team rang me ,they asked how i was etc and asked if i was taking time off , which i replyed that i was as i felt terrible. She then told me that they would pay any loss of wages and my medical bill , and told me to upload my payslips and any medical bills incurred and to also tell them what the Dr says. After seeing the Dr , she told me that i had jarred and bruised my ankle . I told her i was more concerned about my arm and shoulder as it was really hurting. She summized that i was probably just very bruised because i had fallen hard, however told me that i could also have a possible rotator cuff tear. She just wanted me to take it easy and see how i went.
I went home and sent this information through as requested , along with my account of what had happened and left it at that ,as they had told me the case would remain open for 3 years , so there was no rush but i just wanted to get it all in while it was fresh in my mind. They acknowledged receipt of my email and it said it could take 6 weeks to have an outcome. In the washup , i had 2 days off work. I am a courier for work. I have returned to work , however i can only perform light duties , because i cannot lift anything much , this is frustrating for me and also my employer. My arm is still sore , and i was and am experiencing pins and needles down my arm and into my hand. 1 week later , i received an email saying they had assessed my claim and are offering me $1000 to cover my expenses , and i had 21 days to accept the offer. The same day i made an appointment to see a Physiotherapist, as these pins and needles are a concern . He told me that i have done nerve damaged due to the impact of my fall. It appears when i fell it shunted my arm up into my shoulder and neck , so now i look set to have numerous physio sessions to fix it , my Physio is sending the report to my Gp .
Should i now provide this new information to the customer care team and see what they have to say ? This is today only 10 days since the incident. I am in my early 50's and am concerned about on going issues. I would really just like them to compensate me for my medical bills and possible ongoing Physio sessions and i think they will add up very quickly , far exceeding $1000 . What would be your advice for me moving forward?
Thank you in advance .