Deed sign under witness

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kelly Smith

25 May 2021
Hello.

I have two questions regarding the deed sign requirement. I know the deed must be signed in present of a witness.

I recently have a deed of release with someone.

My First question if it is possible, in the future, for the other party in this deed says his signature is not in presence of his witness and deny the validity of this deed.

Will this witness be liable if he signed but be in presence? How do I ensure the other party sign the deed in presence of his witness?

My Second question, is the deed binding to the party who signed under witness, even if the other party does not sign? (no clause saying it only be binding signed by both parties)

Thank you very much for your reply.

Kelly

Kelly Smith

25 May 2021
Hello.

I have two questions regarding the deed sign requirement. I know the deed must be signed in present of a witness.

I recently have a deed of release with someone.

My First question if it is possible, in the future, for the other party in this deed says his signature is not in presence of his witness and deny the validity of this deed.

Will this witness be liable if he signed but be in presence? How do I ensure the other party sign the deed in presence of his witness?

My Second question, is the deed binding to the party who signed under witness, even if the other party does not sign? (no clause saying it only be binding signed by both parties)

Thank you very much for your reply.

Kelly
Will this witness be liable if he signed as witness but NOT be in presence ? How do I ensure the other party sign the deed in presence of his witness?