NSW Damage to my car while at working

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

hshk99

29 April 2021
Hi. I work as a support worker for this company.
One day I went to a client’s house for work and parked on the street.
When I finished working with the client and came out, I saw that side mirror was ripped off.
I checked the video footage from my client’s dashcam, I found that a random car caused the damage and ran away.
Although I have reported this to Police, I doubt they will be able to identify the plate number as the footage was taken from afar.
I use my car to drive to each client’s house and I have trouble with driving to client’s house now because of this damage to side mirror.

In this case, can I demand my employer to pay for the damage out of company insurance, as it happened during work hours?

Atticus

6 February 2019
In this case, can I demand my employer to pay for the damage out of company insurance, as it happened during work hours?
Sure you can demand it.... They can refuse.... Nothing in law that would compel them to pay for that damage that I know of

Docupedia

7 October 2020
I'd also check your employment agreement and employer's policy on using your own vehicle - you may find that you are required to bear repairs/insurance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Absent an agreement, you are likely responsible for the repair. If that is the case, you can claim a tax deduction for the repair.

But ask your employer in the first instance.