VIC Work Car Accident - Do I Have to Pay for Damage?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ebonie

6 March 2017
So I am an apprentice florist and one part of our job is doing deliveries. My boss has a massive Amorok ute as the work car. It's very hard to drive as I'm only 4 ft 8 and on red p plates.

Today I took the work car home for lunch as I was doing deliveries on my lunch break and was hungry, and thought it was easier than going back to the shop and switch cars, well my drive way is a bit shitty and I miscalculated and crashed the passenger side door.

I got a quote on it and they said $1200. She said she's going to go through insurances because I took the car home and it was at my place.

Can she legally make me pay for the damages? Or pay for anything? Not to mention Wednesday is my last day because the boss let me go due to lack of funds...

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
can she legally make me pay for the damages?

In this instance, probably. The accident occurred because of a lack of care entering your own driveway which is a 'bit sh*tty' in your words. You knew this and entered anyway. Lack of due care and diligence probably makes you responsible. Taking the truck home can also be an issue if your boss doesn't authorise its use in this way.