WA Criminal Law - Penalty for Using Steroids?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Watson1600

11 November 2016
Just wondering what the penalty would be under criminal law if caught with a small amount of steroids, just for personal use?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Largest penalty is medical, not legal. Many early deaths due to use and abuse of steroids. Throw in changes of personality, roid rage and effects are not pretty despite what you hope.

What steroids are you thinking of and are you a sports person?

Watson1600

11 November 2016
Anabolic, I'm not a sports person I do go to the gym everyday though. I haven't fully decided if I will take them yet still researching the side effects

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
The legislation differs from state to state. Similarly, sentence imposed differs from person to person based on the legislative provision and one's background, prior criminal history, exact amount, mitigating circumstances, etc etc.

Last time I looked, the maximum sentences range from 1 or 2 years plus a fine, or both, which can run into several thousands.

Watson1600

11 November 2016
Cheers mate, yeah I could only find the maximum. I'm trying to find what the actual penalty would be. I doubt the judge would lock you up for a couple year's

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
You're not going to find what the actual penalty would be, it will differ from case to case - Sentences imposed depend on a variety of factors as mentioned in my original post.

DL

23 November 2016
If you suspect that you may be under investigation, or if you have been charged with an offense, it is vital to get competent legal advice as early as possible. The maximum penalty for this charges a fine of 20 penalty units and/or 2 years imprisonment.