NSW Copyright Laws - Using Football Club Names in Fictional Novel?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Author

11 April 2017
Hi.

I am writing a fictional adventure novel about an imaginary team that wins promotion to the English Premier League. I just want to be sure that my team can play against clubs like Manchester United or Everton and that I can use those club names throughout the manuscript when detailing the on-the-park action. All the player names will be fictional, but it's important that my team plays real Premier League clubs, and that I can mention 'the Premier League' as well, without infringing any copyright laws.

e.g.: Tom Smith passed wide to a winger, but as the ball drifted in the air an Everton defender climbed high and nodded the errant pass over the sideline. The Everton manager threw up his arms in howling protest at his players, rising to his feet from the dugout. "This is the Premier League, lads. " (a poor example of writing perhaps, but I hope it serves to illustrate the point of my question.
I'd be grateful for any advice.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I wouldn't be doing that without getting their express written permission. "Premier League", for example, has a raft of international trademark registrations. You'll probably find similar for the clubs. Using their names without permission (trademarked or not) is likely to be met with pretty swift, and heavy, legal action.