QLD Redundancy - Is This Reasonable?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mary22

19 June 2018
I was made redundant last week with no prior warning or discussion (accountant). He said he was having a business restructure (news to all of us!) and my job was no longer required and that my work would be redistributed to other employees. He has hired 2 new accountants to start in the new year who have less experience than me so I presume he will be giving them my work.

I was blindsided by this (worked there for 5 and a half years) and would have expected some type of discussion as to why redeployment wasn't possible. He said it had nothing to do with my performance. Is this redundancy totally legal to just get rid of me like this?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Based solely on your post, I suspect your redundancy is legit. And the fact that the accountant is quoting a 'restructuring' sounds very like he/she has obtained legal advice telling them how to go about it.

However, I don't know if you are covered by an award, and if so, which award, and whether therefore the lack of consultation is in your favour.