VIC Company Directors - Can Ex-Director Take Database with Him?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Moshvier

21 November 2016
Firstly thank you for the opportunity to ask this question.

Here is the background.

Five years ago, we had a company structure that was 90% owned by my wife and I, and 10% owned by a director of our company.

I became severely ill very suddenly and was taken out of the workforce for some time for treatment. We trusted the financial side of the business to the part owner during that time. While he didn't steal any money, he provided false figures to us showing the business was performing fine when in fact it wasn't. His aim was to make sure he kept getting paid each month as he needed the money to prop up another business. He stopped paying tax and superannuation for all of our staff for about 12 months before we discovered it.

He also didn't pay suppliers and contractors commission. So we owed a lot of people money, but the super and tax was clearly a major problem.

When we confronted him, we told him he had to work for free until the mess was sorted so he left. He then spent a lot of time going to everyone we owed money to telling them we were fully aware of the whole situation and knew they were not getting paid. We considered suing him but the feedback from people he knew was that he had no money or assets.

We sold some assets and gradually sorted out all the debt and kept the business going.

Here is my question:

It now seems not only did he do all of that but he took our database with him when he left. He has now emailed people on the database promoting his new business, we don't know if it is his business or if he is working or doing a JV with someone else.

As company directors, is it legal for him to take the database and use it with his current business venture? Or can we warn him off legally that if he uses the database again we will sue?

Thanks,

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
Moshvier, I believe that what he has taken is confidential information owned by the business and he cannot take it and cannot use it. Legally you could demand it back and or seek an order of a court to prevent its use and its return as well as seek damages.

Good luck.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
As company directors, is it legal for him to take the database and use it with his current business venture?

No. It is company property.

Or can we warn him off legally that if he uses the database again we will sue?

You should immediately send him a demand letter to return all company property, including database and however many copies he took or distributed, send a letter to the business/company he works for demanding the return of your property, and warn both they will be sued for any consequential loss you may have or will occur as a result of the theft of your property.

Moshvier

21 November 2016
No. It is company property.

You should immediately send him a demand letter to return all company property, including database and however many copies he took or distributed, send a letter to the business/company he works for demanding the return of your property, and warn both they will be sued for any consequential loss you may have or will occur as a result of the theft of your property.

Thanks Rod.

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Firstly thank you for the opportunity to ask this question.

Here is the background.

Five years ago, we had a company structure that was 90% owned by my wife and I, and 10% owned by a director of our company.

I became severely ill very suddenly and was taken out of the workforce for some time for treatment. We trusted the financial side of the business to the part owner during that time. While he didn't steal any money, he provided false figures to us showing the business was performing fine when in fact it wasn't. His aim was to make sure he kept getting paid each month as he needed the money to prop up another business. He stopped paying tax and superannuation for all of our staff for about 12 months before we discovered it.

He also didn't pay suppliers and contractors commission. So we owed a lot of people money, but the super and tax was clearly a major problem.

When we confronted him, we told him he had to work for free until the mess was sorted so he left. He then spent a lot of time going to everyone we owed money to telling them we were fully aware of the whole situation and knew they were not getting paid. We considered suing him but the feedback from people he knew was that he had no money or assets.

We sold some assets and gradually sorted out all the debt and kept the business going.

Here is my question:

It now seems not only did he do all of that but he took our database with him when he left. He has now emailed people on the database promoting his new business, we don't know if it is his business or if he is working or doing a JV with someone else.

As company directors, is it legal for him to take the database and use it with his current business venture? Or can we warn him off legally that if he uses the database again we will sue?

Thanks,

Hi Moshiver,

The part-owner’s conduct has been unacceptable in these circumstances and many legal issues are evident. His conduct as a director has been poor and may constitute breaches of his director’s duties. He has taken and is using information from the business, whilst defamation issues may also be present.

I can provide you with the legal advice and representation that you need. Please feel free to contact me via the link Matthew Karakoulakis, Lawyer, AMK Law - Melbourne, VIC - LawTap - Find a Lawyer & Book Online Instantly to arrange an appointment where we can examine the situation in detail, discuss his breaches and the remedies available to you.

Yours faithfully,