VIC Commercial Tenant

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anita Louise

12 July 2017
Hi, I am a partner of have a commercial cafe/restaurant freehold. Our tenant has two other businesses( three in all). He informed us just over one month ago that he has closed the premises and there will be no more rent paid. He is concentrating on the other businesses takeaway as they were already put in place before COVID 19. We have found this reasonable enough. The cafe/restaurant has a unit at the back bringing in $1,500 per month and only after pleading with the tenant he has agreed to pay us this money...... we are still waiting????!! This has put me and my partner in a difficult situation. I won't go into my financial position but it's not good. We had a meeting last week and the tenant has applied for job keeper for his staff and he will have them doing jobs around the cafe, which is great . I would like some feedback as to what are other landlords are charging? Normally the rent is $5,000 per month. I thought $1,000 per month ( deferred ) on top of the $1,500 from the unit. Is this far? Thanks Anita

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com

Anita Louise

12 July 2017
Thank you. I've just read the link you suggested, really goods to have some guide lines, looks fair to me. Appreciate your help.