LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

QLD Clarification on Superannuation Accounts?

Discussion in 'Superannuation Law Forum' started by brett ellwood, 13 October 2016.

1. brett ellwood

brett ellwood Active Member

Hello all,

I have found a old superannuation account in 2016. It just happened to be active at the time of my injury in 2007. The last day I officially worked was in July 2008. My superannuation that I knew I had in 2007 classified me as TPD & I was paid out.

Now the superannuation fund I found in 2016, as I said, was active with TPD coverage in 2006/7, but the account had become inactive on the 3rd of April 2008. Now this old super in 2006/7 TPD was 44000. 2007/8 was 72000.

As I stated, my last day of work was July 2008, which is now in the 2008/9 financial year. But again, my account became inactive on the 3 April 2007/8, so because it was inactive 2007/8 & this claim is successful.

What financial year should it be 2007/8 or 2008/9? I hope you understand this. Hell, I had to read it more than once. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Sorry what is your question? Do you want to know whether you can also claim TPD on that policy as well? I would call them and ask.

What do you mean the account became inactive? Did the premiums stop being paid for the TPD insurance?

I would have thought as long as you are still paying premiums you can make a claim, however there might be an issue with claiming so long after you have become totally and permanently disabled. It will depend on the terms of hte policy.