VIC Caught shoplifting at Kmart and had stuff from other store

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

User1234

19 June 2019
I truely regret with what I did last week . I went shopping with my daughter and she was in her pram . I bought a couple of things . I took 3 things from Bigw that I kept in the pram and did not pay for. Then I went to Kmart . I took 2 things from Kmart that I didn’t pay for . As I was walking out 2 people from loss prevention stopped me and took me to the back room . I was very honest but still cops were called . They gave me a caution and took my photo. I have never had any previous history of doing it and I never did it in the past . It was just one of those day when I don’t know what happened to me and what made me do that. I work in retail . They told me that this incident would not be leaked out and my employer will not be told anything about it as I work in retail itself. But they told my employer and I was fired from my job today .
I truely regret my act and I would not even think about it in future .
Can they take any further action against me ?
Can I still work in retail or would I never be able to work in retail now ?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I truely regret with what I did last week . I went shopping with my daughter and she was in her pram . I bought a couple of things . I took 3 things from Bigw that I kept in the pram and did not pay for. Then I went to Kmart . I took 2 things from Kmart that I didn’t pay for . As I was walking out 2 people from loss prevention stopped me and took me to the back room . I was very honest but still cops were called . They gave me a caution and took my photo. I have never had any previous history of doing it and I never did it in the past . It was just one of those day when I don’t know what happened to me and what made me do that. I work in retail . They told me that this incident would not be leaked out and my employer will not be told anything about it as I work in retail itself. But they told my employer and I was fired from my job today .
I truely regret my act and I would not even think about it in future .
Can they take any further action against me ?
Can I still work in retail or would I never be able to work in retail now ?

I never shoplifted and my answer is based on what I read on this site and other sites, first, you did not provide more info on what the police did, did they issue an infringement? as I understand if they did then that is it, you will not go to court, but if they did not, usually that means you will be charged and go to court. As for finding other job in retail, that will depend on many factors, if you looking in the same area, word of month travels fast, if you work in other areas (which are far) and they request to contact previous employer, then that is it, if you can agree with your previous employer that not to provide a comment, it may work, and then it will depend on if you go to court and get charged or not, so there are many factors that come to play.
I maybe wrong here and if so, I'm sure someone will correct me.
What items did you take and how much were they worth? (this also affects if the police will charge you or not).

User1234

19 June 2019
Thanks for the reply . The police only gave me a caution notice and said this is a warning and it is there for 5 years . If I do anything wrong in 5 years then I will have to face the consequences. The items were only worth $65. The Kmart loss & prevention lady said it very positively that they would not pass it on to anyone else but still the employer was informed about it . I know i did wrong . And i apologised a lot about it . I regret that day in my life . I don’t know if any further consequences would be there . I know i got punished for a wrong thing and i have learnt a lesson .

User1234

19 June 2019
The loss & prevention staff very clearly said that everything would be very confidential and Professional and said that nothing would be disclosed but still they told my employer about it and i was fired from job . Can I do anything in this regard ? They asked me where I work ? Should I have lied to them rather than telling the truth ?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
The loss & prevention staff very clearly said that everything would be very confidential and Professional and said that nothing would be disclosed but still they told my employer about it and i was fired from job . Can I do anything in this regard ? They asked me where I work ? Should I have lied to them rather than telling the truth ?

I don't advise to lie to them about where you worked but I think it should not have been disclosed to therm (but you already did that), I am not a lawyer and I don't know the law regarding if they did the right thing or not, you need to ask a lawyer, the lawyer would be the best person to provide an advice and whether you are able to take action against them. Keep us posted if you do contact a lawyer and write what the lawyer advised you.

You learned the hard way, shoplifting is very dangerous and not worth it.

User1234

19 June 2019
I was wrong because I had shoplifted from 3 stores . The total was $65 . The police have me a caution letter . I was banned from kmart but luckily not from the Center . The only bad co-incidence was that the place where I worked is in the Center as well . I don’t know if I should contact the lawyer in this context because I was wrong . But still the loss prevention team said the information would be very confidential so why did they inform Center management and security about it ? Can I contact Kmart headquarters in this context and ask them that if the information was kept confidential then why did they make me loose my job ?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I was wrong because I had shoplifted from 3 stores . The total was $65 . The police have me a caution letter . I was banned from kmart but luckily not from the Center . The only bad co-incidence was that the place where I worked is in the Center as well . I don’t know if I should contact the lawyer in this context because I was wrong . But still the loss prevention team said the information would be very confidential so why did they inform Center management and security about it ? Can I contact Kmart headquarters in this context and ask them that if the information was kept confidential then why did they make me loose my job ?

I am not sure but I think KMart informed your boss as it was in the same centre, I think there is an understanding to spread the word between the shops in a centre so to prevent shoplifting from the centre, I think if your employment was not in the centre they may have not informed your employer. So I think they followed the policy to inform the shops within the centre and not inform your employer in order to get you in trouble. KMart did not do anything negative, it was your fault not theirs. I don't think you have any chance or legal action against KMart. I am not a lawyer and I maybe wrong, contact a lawyer and see what the lawyer will advise.