NSW Cared for Now Deceased Father - Claim on Will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jessiesgirl

9 May 2016
We have just lost our dad. Within two days of his passing, we were told by our oldest sister she was contesting a will. In that discussion, all other beneficiaries had declared their intentions of not contesting.

On reflection and the fact that I am just annoyed, I was wondering if anyone has ever cared for their parent until their passing, given up their life, job, financial earning capacity, almost lost their marriage/relationship and then successfully sued the estate for that loss during that period. We cared for dad 24/7, three days on, three days off and we did not receive the carer's pension. Another of my sister's co-cared for our father with me and I would hate for us to be able to make a claim on his will and not do so.

Thanks in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What is it about the will that she thinks is contestable?

jessiesgirl

9 May 2016
She got a quarter share of the home, another sister received a block of land as well. I received a boundary adjustment (I have to pay all costs) and the other sister received a block of land (she has to pay all costs). She believes she's not fairly provided for and that dad owed her money.