Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Cared for Now Deceased Father - Claim on Will?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by jessiesgirl, 9 May 2016.

1. jessiesgirl

jessiesgirl Member

We have just lost our dad. Within two days of his passing, we were told by our oldest sister she was contesting a will. In that discussion, all other beneficiaries had declared their intentions of not contesting.

On reflection and the fact that I am just annoyed, I was wondering if anyone has ever cared for their parent until their passing, given up their life, job, financial earning capacity, almost lost their marriage/relationship and then successfully sued the estate for that loss during that period. We cared for dad 24/7, three days on, three days off and we did not receive the carer's pension. Another of my sister's co-cared for our father with me and I would hate for us to be able to make a claim on his will and not do so.

Thanks in advance.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

What is it about the will that she thinks is contestable?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jessiesgirl

jessiesgirl Member

She got a quarter share of the home, another sister received a block of land as well. I received a boundary adjustment (I have to pay all costs) and the other sister received a block of land (she has to pay all costs). She believes she's not fairly provided for and that dad owed her money.