QLD Car fire due to direct mechanic's negligence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shez156

28 August 2017
A few weeks ago I paid a mechanic for a service, drove my car 15 mins down the road when I saw smoke or something from my bonnet whilst driving, pulled over and (not actually thinking a fire could be a possibility) opened the bonnet to see a fire right in front of me. I don't know how I didn't get burned, but I did not get physically injured and thankfully I had the aid of a police officer who was nearby who ascertained what was on fire was an oily rag the mechanic had left on my engine.

My car wouldn't start and had lots of charring where the fire had been and the mechanic did tow the car back to the work shop and repaired it and cleaned it up. My issue is they were rather horrible to me about it once they realised the damage was contained and we were really very lucky. I was in a serious state of shock, my doctor put me on valium and since the incident I am displaying signs of anxiety (which I've never experienced before), it effects me most days and when driving I can get quite anxious when I see smoke from an exhaust or something that makes me think for a second that I see smoke from my car again.

It took me three weeks to work up the strength to call the head office of the company to lodge a complaint and I was largely dismissed by them. I waited two weeks for the owner of the business to call me just to hear my complaint and he told me he would call me back once he found out what more he could do for me when I told him of the psychological stress I was suffering as well as being out of pocket for two days wages (that I took off work) and paying for a second, independent mechanic to assess my car. It has been three weeks and he has not bothered to call me back.

I want some action for the stress and anxiety their negligence has caused me. I realise no claim can be made for what could have happened but this was a risk to my life and had I not chosen to drive to work that morning the next time I would have driven would have been at night by myself on the motorway for two hours and had the fire started then I very likely would have been seriously harmed. My complaint to them has not been taken seriously and I want to find out whether I have a worthy case, even if only minor, to receive some compensation for what they have put me through (as well as the small financial loss of 2 days work & paying an independent mechanic). And if not, what other options I have because it is unjust that a business can be so negligent and dismissive when placing a risk on someone's life and I fear they've had no reason to change their ways from this experience and it could likely happen to another who won't be as "lucky" as I was. The police created an incident number and would provide expert witness to the incident and I have the burnt, oily rag as evidence. What are my options?