WA Car Dealership Fraud - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LDR

5 April 2018
(I wrote this as brief as possible) I purchased a 4WD from a large dealership and have had it for 3 months. Out of that 3 months, the service department had it for nearly 2 months with engine problems and issues with black smoke.

They gave it back once after 3 weeks and no difference, then they had it for 4 weeks and was OK when I picked it up. But a couple hours of driving and it's blowing excessive black smoke again. My 3 months warranty is now over and worst, I now have found out more about the cars history and believe it should have never been put up for sale as it was unfit for purpose.

Doing my research, I found that the service log book, which they proudly showed me the full car's service history, when purchasing the car has been a fraud gently filled out by the car dealership.

This is obvious due to 1; the same handwriting from apparently different service centres 2; no stamps just fake signatures 3; calling one of the apparent service centres and they had no history of ever having the car in. 4; Made contact with the previous owner who said the car never had a log book service as the vehicle was used on a mine site in a remote location.

Do I have grounds to sue for refund / interest paid and inconvenience?

Thanks

Clancy

6 April 2016
Oh dear, seems like the dealer may have forgotten to send one of the service centers the usual Christmas hamper!!

But seriously, try to collect written statements from the service centers and the original owner refuting the log book if you can, then take it to fair trading. If you can get that information, this dealer is in deep doo doo!