VIC Australian Law - Legal to Pretend to be Female Online?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jagerdawson

11 January 2016
Hi, I am a male who pretends to be a female online. Men pay me anywhere from $50 to $100 to send them pictures (no face always just random women's bodies). I also tell them to masturbate for me and send me the pics. They enjoy the fantasy and being humiliated online. They pay directly to my bank account. I post an ad online and then the men approach me.

Is this legal or illegal under Australian Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Illegal. This activity is a crime.

Not sure if it also a civil matter as immoral behaviour is not generally rewarded by the courts. Anyone care to comment?

jagerdawson

11 January 2016
Thanks for your reply.

Can you please explain to me how this is illegal in Australia? I am not pretending to be a real person, I am purely a made up fantasy profile.

The client is willingly signing up and happily paying money and getting a kick from it. I understand that it would be illegal if I took an actual real person's identity and used it to gain money.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Issue is that unless you disclose you are male, in Vic there is a crime called obtaining a financial advantage by deception. If the men are being deceived and paying money on the basis of this deception then you are in all likelihood committing a crime. A fantasy profile has no bearing on the deception while the other party paying the money thinks they are communicating with a real woman.

And Australian bank accounts/credit cards/paypal are all easy for authorities to monitor.