NSW Can I go on holidays while on Bail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jonathansmith

28 September 2022
Hi, I have an overseas holiday booked for the upcoming month. The only condition I have on my bail is to not enter any bars in my local area (nothing about travel or reporting to police etc). My travel dates don't clash with my court date. I just want to confirm that I would be allowed to travel overseas? Thanks

jonathansmith

28 September 2022
Thanks for your reply, I’m a little confused now as I called a lawyer today who informed me I would be able to travel aswell as a Sargent at the local police station. They both alluded to the fact that I had no travel restrictions or requirements to report to a police station. Thanks

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
So, it's conditional bail - that you stay away from licensed premises.
Is it police bail, or bail from a court?
If police, did you disclose your travel plans to the custody officer?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
And did you disclose your travel plans to the custody officer?

jonathansmith

28 September 2022
So, it's conditional bail - that you stay away from licensed premises.
Is it police bail, or bail from a court?
If police, did you disclose your travel plans to
And did you disclose your travel plans to the custody officer?
I didn’t give him specific dates because it was booked quite a while away, but I mentioned that I had a trip that wouldn’t clash with those given court dates and he said that as long as you turn up in court you will be fine - there’s no mention of the trip in the bail sheet or anything like that

ArmandoMyers

23 March 2023
Based on what you've shared, it seems that your only restriction is related to not entering bars in your local area, which doesn't directly affect your ability to travel overseas.

ArmandoMyers

23 March 2023
Based on what you've shared, it seems that your only restriction is related to not entering bars in your local area, which doesn't directly affect your ability to travel overseas.
However, for absolute certainty, it's highly advisable to consult with your legal counsel or your bail officer. They can provide you with specific guidance on your situation and confirm whether your overseas holiday aligns with the terms of your bail. Clear communication with them will ensure you stay within the bounds of your legal obligations. If you ever fancy a more luxurious travel experience, I've come across a way to access discounts for flying business class. It can be a nice touch to enhance your journey's comfort and style.