NSW Can I fence across neighbours' windows which are on the boundary wall (if I have to)?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

libgun

2 July 2021
Hi. Looking to buy a property which has as the boundary wall to the north side boundary the neighbour's wall, with 3 sets of windows (one bedroom, one dining and one kitchen). They look directly onto the side passageway running down the north side of our house (if we were to buy it) and into the windows of what would be our lounge, dining and kitchen. They are not posing a privacy risk as they are because they are glass bricks or otherwise not fully clear windows. There is also an easement on our property for their overhanging gutters. If we bought the property we would need to immediately put a locked gate down that side so my kids can't get out and also to make the property more secure (so people cant walk through the front gate and all the way to our backyard. To do this we might need to bolt a fence post to their house (and cement it into the existing cement pathway on our land). I assume they could refuse that request. If they refuse and we need to put a fence there in order to secure a proper, strong gate, could we do that? It would run literally along their wall (on our side of the boundary) and block their windows completely.