NSW Can I Demand Redundancy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

pat7172

19 January 2018
Hi all,

I have a question about work probation period. I have been contracting since March 2017 with my current employer. Not long after I started I was informed that my role (even though they changed the title and job description somewhat) would be converted to a permanent role and that I would need to apply for it if I wanted to continue working for the Company.

I undertook the interview in July 2107 and was successful. I was informed verbally I had the role. In August 2017, a formal email communications took place with HR for per-employment requests for security checks, etc - to which there were no problems. Due to "slowness" I wasn't officially on boarded as a permanent staff member until Oct 23, 2017. Whilst waiting, I was still contracting.

My situation now is that due to a company restructure, it looks like I may be short between 4-8 weeks from passing my 6 month probation period and consequently will loose the opportunity of being offered a senior service redundancy package- which is significant.

My question is: as I went for the interview back in July and was successful, do I have any legal ground to "demand" the redundancy due to the tardiness to secure my permanent status? In other words if they had brought me on as a permanent around August I would not be in this predicament.

Thanks.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Based on your post I can't see any right to vary the start date.

Plus entitlement to redundancy is normally after a minimum period of 12 months, unless the award/EA or employment contract shortens the period.

pat7172

19 January 2018
Based on your post I can't see any right to vary the start date.

Plus entitlement to redundancy is normally after a minimum period of 12 months, unless the award/EA or employment contract shortens the period.

Thanks Rod. My contract allows redundancy after 6 months.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
My question is: as I went for the interview back in July and was successful, do I have any legal ground to "demand" the redundancy due to the tardiness to secure my permanent status?
No.

pat7172

19 January 2018
Hi All,

Back to my question about the restructure and my probation period/redundancy above: I have been informed that my employer can't just end my employment within my 6-month probation period and not offer me redundancy, as the probation period is related to performance – not time.

If I have been performing (which I have – no complaints and currently have completed a performance review which states I meet expectations) then I should be deemed a permanent worker and be offered a redundancy even if it is my probation period. Is this right? BTW I am 4 months into my probation period.

Thanks!

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Are you still employed? If it ended, when did it end?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
I should be deemed a permanent worker and be offered a redundancy even if it is my probation period. Is this right?

No. You need to get past the 6 months.