WA Can Friend Leave Me Inheritance in Will If I Live Overseas?

Discussion in 'Wills and Estate Planning Law Forum' started by Gandhi umayal, 14 November 2015.

  1. Gandhi umayal

    Gandhi umayal Member

    14 November 2015
    Likes Received:
    I would like to clarify that,
    1. I have a very close friend of mine who lives in Perth, WA.
    2. I'm living in India and have not visited Australia.
    3. My friend had written a will for a payment of $100,000 after his death in favour of me through a lawyer.
    4. Also, he is going to write the home in my name.

    Now my question is:
    1. Is it possible for a friend who lives in Australia to leave his money and property to his friend who lives in India as an inheritance?
    2. If yes, what does he have to do and who do I have to approach after his death?
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Guest

    Hi Gandhi,

    Yes it is possible for your friend to gift property to you in his will even though you are living in another country. You should find out who the executor is of the will, and contact him or her after your friend's death. He is obliged to distribute your friend's estate in accordance with his will.

Share This Page