Bought a car with defect.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

maverick730

15 August 2017
Hi. I bought a Jeep for $36000. The car comes with 3 year warranty. However started to have a strange issue after 1 month. Since then the car had to go to the dealership very often but the problem was intermittent and also the dealership is a ford. Now I decide to go to a Jeep dealership but still not successful. It was March 2016 when I purchased the car. I need any help what I should do next.

Matthew Karakoulakis

27 October 2016
Hi,

If a product fails to meet a consumer guarantee, consumers are entitled to use their legal rights to a repair, refund or replacement under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL). Remedies for major failures are different from remedies for goods with minor problems. For goods with a major failure, consumers have a right to reject the goods and request either a refund or replacement.

The ACL describes a major failure as the following:
No consumer would have bought the goods if they had known about the problem; or
The goods purchased are not fit for purpose and cannot be easily be made fit for purpose in a reasonable time.

If you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me via the link below or at [email protected] to arrange for an appointment to discuss your options.