VIC Air ticket issue with Malaysian airline

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Abhay

6 August 2020
Hi there- I am seeking following advice from this post.

1) Can a legal case file against my scenario/issue?
2) If yes, which court should I approach and how?

Matter details: - We have booked NON-REFUNDABLE tickets with Malaysian airline. Travel dates are at the end of November 2020 and return in Jan 2021. To save money and get cheap tickets we booked in March 2020. Now, Malaysian airline cancelled our tickets and offering these options

1) Rebooking of tickets for another date BUT we have pay fare difference
2) Cancelled the whole booking and take voucher BUT voucher should be used before June 2021

As per the Malaysian Airline policy if they fail to operate we are eligible for a full refund even though we have NON-Refundable booking. See the screenshot. Policy pic attached.png

Here is the catch - They have intentionally kept their ticket price high until June 2021 so even I opt for above mention options I have to pay extra amount. I check the fares of another airline like Singapore airline they fare are half of the Malaysian airline ticket fare until June 2021. I feel trap here, and the airline is making a fool of it customer by just giving these glorify options. I asked the airline to rebook my tickets to another date without any fare difference which they are NOT agreeing and asking to opt the above two options.

The price of tickets are up to A$2500

Kindly help me with my case.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Where did you book the ticket (country), and was it through an agent, if yes, where?

Abhay

6 August 2020
Thanks, Rod for the response.

The ticket was booked from Melbourne, Australia and it through travel agent which have an office in Sydney.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You have a good chance for a full refund less handling fees.