family dispute resolution

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Family dispute resolution is a process of the Australian family law system introduced on 1 July 2008. Families in dispute who want to apply to a court for a parenting order must first attend family dispute resolution. There are some exceptions to this rule, for example cases involving child abuse and family violence. Family dispute resolution is not currently a pre-application requirement for property matters.
Disputes between family members may be addressed by ADR (alternative dispute resolution). Indeed, the Family Court of Australia regards it as the preferred method of resolving disputes.
The issues discussed in family dispute resolution can include problems that have arisen during or after separation and the effect these problems have had on the children; how the child's best interests can best be served within the new structure of their family; parenting plans; and property and finances. Family dispute resolution is essentially a structured discussion offered to separating parents and significant others to assist in decision making about parenting and/or property. All discussion that take place during family dispute resolution are confidential, unless either party discloses an intention to harm a person or their property, or child abuse.
Family dispute resolution is designed to create the opportunity for parents and significant others to discuss how each can best continue to parent while maintaining a focus on their child's best interests being served.
Family dispute resolution practitioners can assist parents to develop parenting plans. They are impartial and do not take sides. However, in discussions involving the welfare of the children, the practitioner may adopt a more advisory role in order to help keep the best interests of the children in focus.

View More On
  1. B

    VIC Likelihood of Getting 50/50 Custody of Children?

    Apologies if this has been covered before - I've done some searching, but can't quite get the info. I would like. I'm trying to work out the likelihood (I understand there is nothing definitive at this point) of getting 50/50 parenting time. I am considering separating from my de facto partner...
  2. R

    QLD What is the Normal Timeframe of Family Dispute Resolution?

    How long should it take from the initial intake interview with Family Dispute Resolution to actually start the mediation process? My husband called them in February, had his initial intake in April, and mediation has still not started (8 months later). When he calls, all they will tell him is...
  3. M

    QLD Success with Family Dispute Resolution?

    Has anyone used and had much success with Family Dispute Resolution?
  4. M

    VIC Mother of Child Refuses to Attend Family Dispute Resolution?

    My daughter used to stay with me every Friday evening through to Monday morning. I kept on hearing of more and more erratic behaviour of the mother that convinced me she has mental health issues and it was having a direct impact on the well-being of my daughter. After months of asking for an...
  5. Complex16

    QLD Do I Have to Go to Mediation Again?

    Hi, Was just hoping for some information regarding Family Dispute Resolution. My ex-partner requested mediation a few months ago through Relationships Australia. I attended the intake and detailed the various domestic and family violence issues. Following this, they deemed our matter to be...
  6. K

    VIC Family Law - Can Ex Refuse to Share Information About Children?

    At the moment, my ex-partner has our children Wednesday night through to Friday morning one week, and Wednesday night to Sunday night the other week. He lives 45 minutes away (not in a city, regional area). I have expressed my concern to him about not knowing how our 8-year-old gets to and from...
  7. K

    VIC Father of Children Not Cooperating at Family Dispute Resolution?

    Everyone, I left my kids' father due to years of Domestic Violence. To cut a long story short, our kids are 3 and 8, he lives 45 minutes away in another town (rural area) and will not accept anything except week on week off, or two days a week with him and alternate weekends. Our youngest is in...
  8. P

    QLD Custody of Children - Family Report Recommendation Implemented as Parenting Orders?

    I have a question in regards to a Family Report Recommendation by a Family Reporter. Can a Family Report Recommendation be implemented as parenting orders? All I know is the Family Reporter can only recommend but cannot be implemented if the parties did not agree with the report. I'm seeking...
  9. S

    WA Moving Overseas With Children - Serving Ex Document for Family Court?

    Hi all, I'm applying for court order to relocating my children to overseas (sole parent responsibility). I have two children, they are living with me since we separated with my ex-husband 5 years ago and we divorced 3 years ago. Since the separation, the father is not interested to see kids or...
  10. E

    QLD Father Won't Consent to Get Passport for Daughter - What to Do?

    I have a 17-year-old daughter not getting consent from her father for a passport to travel to New Zealand to see a very close friend and his family. My daughter suffers from depression and anxiety and I am concerned for her wellbeing and as a mother my best interest is allowing her to see a very...