QLD Success with Family Dispute Resolution?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lance

31 October 2015
While I have not used family dispute resolution myself, family dispute resolution is part of the pre-action procedures needed between parties prior to commencing court proceedings. That is unless there is domestic violence or a risk to children e.g. child abuse or violence towards a child.

Reactions: Marteena

AllForHer

23 July 2014
The level of success of family dispute resolution really depends on the level of commitment from each of the participating parties. Some parties see it just as a pre-procedure step that will get them to Court, while others actually use it for its intended purpose and reach agreement accordingly.

For my husband, he uses family dispute resolution from time to time to discuss parenting issues directly with his ex in an environment that is physically safe after a long history of violence against him, and where he knows his view won't just be waved off as it is when the discussion isn't mediated by a third party. Even if agreeement isn't reached about something, at least they both go away with some insight about the concerns of the other.

Reactions: Marteena

Marteena

20 October 2016
Thank you everyone, I'm going to suggest we give this a try. I've suggested it years ago but my kids dad refused as he didn't want to have to pay maintenance and he didn't want his domestic violence record brought up.