QLD You have to have cake with that!

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Oneman

7 September 2017
Two weeks ago I wanted to purchase two cups of coffee, to have at a table, at a large Coffee franchise, which is almost like a Club, and was refused service because I refused to purchase a second piece of cake. The reason given was that everyone sitting at a table in the Café was required to purchase an item of food. Is this legal? Since when can cafes insist on patrons purchasing food to consume with a cup of coffee? Thanks.

Atticus

6 February 2019
I seem to recall there was something Covid 19 related to do with easing of restrictions that meant some venues could only open if they also offered food. I recall patrons were just ordering hot chips to satisfy the law.... It may have been venues with a liquor license, don't fully recall & not sue if your experience is related sorry..

Perhap it's just that with restrictions (if they are still in place where you are ) means they can only make it worth trading if they sell food items as well as coffee. Just my thoughts

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, they can choose to arrange their food and beverage offering any way they want.

Atticus

6 February 2019
they can choose to arrange their food and beverage offering any way they want.
Very odd business model... if we are talking about a 'club' type coffee place, I know for certain that is not their usual business model
The reason given was that everyone sitting at a table in the Café was required to purchase an item of food.
Sounds Covid related restrictions to me .... Takeaway only unless seated for a meal was one stage of restriction I recall.... customers satisfied the ruling in licensed premises by just buying the cheapest 'meal' ... a cup of hot chips

Oneman

7 September 2017
Thanks everyone.
I thought that the food rule only applied to Licensed Premises. But that's okay. The lady I was with walked further into the shopping centre and found a Coffee Shop that was happy to serve just coffee to patrons since it is after all, a café, instead of slyly insisting that customers order something to eat with their coffee after customers wait in a queue. No signs posted. No problems. Covid or not, I wont be going back to that Coffee Club as I don't believe it is usual practice, just that particular franchisors attempt at something similar to 'price gouging' and yes probably using Covid19 as an excuse. Coffee Club just lost a regular client and the other café makes better coffee anyway. Thanks again.