VIC WHAT HAPPENS TO A RESPONSE TO A DISCONTINUED APPLICATION.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Malissla

24 April 2018
Good evening,

I made an application to the Family Court of Australia, I no longer require the order I was seeking, in the event that I issue a discontinuance could any one inform me what would happen to the Respondents "response" to my initiation application? Does it simply go away when I withdraw? Does the Respondent then have to make an initiating application?

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Nope, the matter can proceed undefended with the respondent being the only party to participate.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends on whether the other party has requested their own orders. If they made no requests for orders then you may be OK. Note that discontinuance leaves you open to a claim for costs.

Malissla

24 April 2018
Depends on whether the other party has requested their own orders. If they made no requests for orders then you may be OK. Note that discontinuance leaves you open to a claim for costs.

Yes, the other party has requested orders they want in the Response to my application, so I can assume now that in the event I issue a discontinuance that the Respondent then has a free run to seek the orders as stated in the "Response" undefended. It therefore appears discontinuance isn't an option.

Thank you Rod, I am grateful to you Sir.