NSW Wedding Venue Cancels 1 Month from wedding

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Voula

29 December 2023
Hi
A friend booked a wedding venue for her wedding on 2/2/24. The venue has just been bought by new owners and they have advised my friend that they plan on renovating the venue so have cancelled her wedding booking (both the ceremony and the reception were being held there). This is month prior to the wedding! Apparently the new owners were unaware a wedding had been booked for the 2/2/24 until today.
What are her rights? And what obligation does the venue have to honour her contract?
Thank you
Val

24 January 2024
I'm not a legal expert, but in a situation like this, it's important for your friend to consult with a legal professional who specializes in contract law or Australian consumer law. Generally, when a venue cancels a wedding booking due to renovations or changes in ownership, there may be legal implications involved.

DonnaJerrily

30 August 2023
To better understand her rights and the venue's obligations, she should seek legal advice promptly. It's essential to review the terms and conditions of the contract she had with the venue and discuss potential remedies with a legal expert.
For now, if she's considering capturing her wedding memories, she might want to explore the services of a wedding videographer. the-wedding-videographer.co.uk specializes in preserving those special moments, ensuring they can be cherished for years to come.
I hope your friend can find a solution to this unexpected situation, and I wish her the best for her upcoming wedding.